Why is Citing Important
In colleges and universities it is expected that you will cite your sources of information correctly.
There are three main reasons why you must cite clearly, systematically and consistently:
- If you include the work or ideas of others without citing it, this is plagiarism.
- A well-cited piece of work demonstrates to your professor that you have thoroughly researched the topic, and that your work is based on evidence.
- Readers of your work may wish to look at the external information you have referred to in your writing, so readers will need full details of the source to locate it.
Understanding Citations Video
After watching this video, you should be able to:
- Identify the elements of citations
- Distinguish between citations for books, book chapters, and journal articles
- Recognize citation style names
- Describe the purpose of an in-text citation and how it refers to the works cited page.
Ask a Librarian
Monday to Thursday, 10:00 am to 7:00 pm; Friday, 10:00 am - 5:00pm