Selected Publications on Writing Dissertations
The following are just selected publications, more titles can be found by searching our online catalog
Resources on Copyright, Fair Use, and Permissions
- The Fair use of Images for Teaching, Research, and Study (Visual Resources Association)
- Digital Image Rights Computator (Visual Resources Association)
- Copyright, Fair Use, and Education (Columbia University)
- Your Copyrights (Columbia University)
- A Graduate Student's Guide to Copyright: Open Access, Fair Use, and Permissions (University of Michigan)
- Getting Permission to Use Archival Material in Architecture (USC)
- Copyright Digital Slider (ALA)
- Video (Copyright and the Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction: Eric Doeringer at TEDxChelsea)
- Video: Appropriation in Art (by JoAnna Boudreaux)
General Citation Rules and Citing Images
Check what is the appropriate citation style for the paper, for example MLA.
See Purdue Online Writing Lab's great resource on general guidelines and how to cite different kinds of works.
Citing Images: When you document images you need to create captions and bibliographic citations. When an image appears in the text you should write a descriptive caption indicating the source of the image. Then you create a more detailed entry in your bibliography. The most important is to be consistent in formating the text.
For citing images of works in visual arts you need to include basic information:
- Dimensions (if applicable)
For example: Braque, Georges Houses at l"Estaque. 1908. Oil on canvas, 730x595mm. Kunstmuseum, Berne.
To see more examples, including images in books, print articles, on the Internet, and in a database consult the library tutorial How to Cite Images.
See also the NJIT Research Guide Understanding Citations
Online Resources for Citation Management
Bibliographic management software enables you to organize references and bibliographies. You can use Microsoft Word or special tools for citation management that will do formatting for you. Overview of citation software can be also found at MIT site